Friday, May 19, 2023

Spanish proverbs that rhyme (1)

I am a big fan of proverbs that feature some kind of rhyme. It helps to make the proverb more memorable, and that's even more important when learning a new language, so I've been collecting rhyming proverbs in Spanish. Here are some of the rhyming proverbs I've found so far. 

My goal is to learn the Spanish for its own sake, so I'm not providing translations, but I have linked one word in each proverb to the Wiktionary, guessing which word might be least familiar. Of course, you can look up more words using the Wiktionary.

I've put them on two lines to emphasize the rhymes. They are like teeny-tiny poems!

Allá van leyes
   donde quieren reyes.

Con pasteles de esperanza
   nunca se llena la panza.

Del dico al hecho
   hay mucho trecho.

Entre la cuna y la sepultura
   no hay cosa segura.

Goza de tu poco
   mientras busca más el loco.

Mono vestido de seda
   mono se queda.

Para el último viaje
   no es menester equipaje.

Si el mar fuera vino
   todo el mundo sería marino.

Si quieres dinero y fama
   que no te agarre el sol en la cama.

Si vives y no te mueres
   ¿qué más quieres?

Here's a graphic I made at imgflip with a cat photo from Wallpaper Flare.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.